Saturday 1 March 2014

READING REVIEW- This Star Won't Go Out


  This Star Won't Go Out by Esther Earl with Lori and Wayne Earl and introduction by John Green

Grade: A+

Percent: 98% / 100%

Stars: *****

Scale of YOU NEED TO READ THIS BOOK to DON'T BOTHER: This book gets a GET IN A CAR GO TO THE BOOKSTORE AND PAY FULL PRICE FOR IT! 

A game of 'summarize your feels for this book (start to finish) in a sentence': BEAUTIFUL , AWESOME AND ASDFGH *said through tears*

"A collection of the journals, fiction, letters, and sketches of the late Esther Grace Earl, who passed away in 2010 at the age of 16. Photographs and essays by family and friends will help to tell Esther’s story along with an introduction by award-winning author John Green who dedicated his #1 bestselling novel The Fault in Our Stars to her." -Goodreads

Spoiler Free Review

     There is not much to say about this book due to it being a biography but that does not make it any less precious. Throughout  this book Esther enthralled me with her genuine thoughts and sentences, she twisted my emotions and truly made me feel as if I was not alone. This is because I also felt the way she does or at least the way she conveys through her journal. Which turned this reading experience into a tremendous, personal one rather then just a hero story. I felt as if Esther was sitting with me in my bed telling me what was happening herself. When I read this book it was at night which made me feel close to her in a way that I can't really explain. Since she wrote her entries at night filled with personal thoughts, emotions and doodles. I also found myself crying whilst reading this book and exploring thoughts questioning my beliefs and actions. So in a way this book made an imprint on my life and influenced my life. I know that is a pretty broad dramatic statement but that is honestly the impression I had when finishing this book. As I took my time reading I understood, enjoyed and savoured her words. I must say even though her writing may not be the best that is what made it emotional. If she wrote perfectly it would just be structure without any emotions. This book is beautifully designed, I love how they made this a beautiful book just like she was a beautiful person,  even though the book does not compare to her. It looks like they actually put time into the making of this which was nice for Esther and for the readers. Because of that we as readers get the impression that they actually cared about this book rather then them just rushing and putting the book together hastily. Now onto  John Green's introduction which was amazing like everything he writes! It was a beautiful mood setter for the book and perfectly introduced Esther. Here is the first sentence of the intro that shows you how amazing it will be and is, "My friendship with Esther Earl began, as so many great love stories do, at a Harry Potter convention."- John Green. The reason that this book lost 2% was the organization at some points. At some parts I wanted to just read her journals without the interruption of other components but I do understand that they were needed. 

Here are some quotes and pictures I liked from the book:

“We live in a world defined by its boundaries: You cannot travel faster than the speed of light. You must and will die. You cannot escape these boundaries. But the miracle and hope of human consciousness is that we can still conceive of boundlessness.”
― Esther EarlThis Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl


“If one person sits down at their computer one day and types one word, dose that affect the future? If that one person didn't type that one word, would the future's history be changed? Dose their one word even mean anything? Dose my one (times a lot) word mean anything? Dose that one person's one word even get read-once? If I wasn't sitting here writing my words, would my future be different?”
― Esther EarlThis Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl


“I forget, because it’s hard to realize that the same person who gives you so much love, and to whom you give so much in return, can go through the kinds of pain and suffering that nothing you do can alleviate.”
― Esther EarlThis Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl


“I do hope that when the day comes, whether in 1, 10, or 100 years, I don’t want you to think of me and feel sad.”
― Esther EarlThis Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl


“The measure of a friendship is not its physicality but its significance. Good friendships, online or off, urge us toward empathy; they give us comfort and also pull us out of the prisons of our selves.”
― Esther EarlThis Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl



“Isn’t it sad that so often it takes facing death to appreciate life and each other fully?”
― Esther EarlThis Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl




     Go read this book it is as beautiful as pizza, as delightful and sweet as Nutella and as emotional as Sherlock! 

- Ariel G, The Reading Rebel




No comments:

Post a Comment